cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "X. S." <nordlicht1...@hotmail.de>
Subject VM orchestration, updating Best practices
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:46:58 GMT
Hey!

I have several choices to make regarding orchestration of VMs:

- when and where should I assign a role to a template/VM?

- Should I have a Database template, a Webserver template etc? Or should I just have one basic
ubuntu template with chef/puppet installed and pass the role somehow differently to the VM
(how?) so all the rest of the installation is taken care of by those tools?

- Should I turn on automatic updates in Ubuntu and how often should I create a new, up to
date template?

- is puppet/chef really worth having to change the recipes on every minor new version and
coming up with a recipe every time I want to install something new? Is there a way of installing
security patches etc. automatically but handle new versions manually via chef or puppet?

- I guess the best way for updates would be to start a new VM with the new software and one
by one move the workload to the updated VMs. On the other hand this seems not very feasible
for the daily updates on the OS level!?

I have been researching this for a few weeks. Maybe you can share a thing or two before my
head explodes...

Thank you!
Lisa