cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Vs HP CSA
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:43:33 GMT
At my previous employer, we've worked to  replace HP BSA (HPSA and
HPOO), with

cloudstack - controlling vSphere, KVM and XEN
cobbler and spacewalk (linux physical provisioning and patch management)
Chef - package configuration
Microsoft SSCM - physical windows provisioning and management

CloudStack, KVM, Cobbler, Spacewalk and Chef - are all open source. SSCM
and vSphere - something you had to pay for.

You can technically abstract SSCM, but there is no open source tool to
best of my knowledge that would do all of that for Windows. vSphere was
there because of ELA, but since we automated template build process, KVM
or XEN as open source replacement - would have worked similarly.

In theory you can have this stack completely open source (free), but you
have to have specific skillset to get all of subcomponents functional in
somewhat similar fashion as proprietary. Depending on how large your ENV
is, you have to decide which route you want to go.

Regards
ilya