cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack DR Approach (not HA)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:34:39 GMT
Hi Lisa,

You have basically highlighted the difference between a true 'Cloud' application and a traditional
application.

Eventually, all 'apps' will be cloud apps, and we will never need to fail-over an individual
VM between Zones, but there are still a lot of users running traditional workloads which require
the hardware to provide the resiliency, rather that the app itself.

Until we reach the utopia of all workloads being cloud-era workloads, the Zone HA feature
is still very high on people's wish list.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: X. S. [mailto:nordlicht1984@hotmail.de]
Sent: 26 March 2014 14:19
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: CloudStack DR Approach (not HA)

Hey!Is this really all cloud environments can do? Isn't there a better solution? I am thinking
hot failover across data centers and not just restarting a one hour(?) old, outdated backup.
With the approach mentioned here we still have to configure, for example, the SQL server in
the VM to do replication across data centers to get instant failover. This would be best practice
for an SQL database, right? Where is the benefit of snapshotting if you have to configure
replication in higher level layers anyways? Shouldn't we just handle all the replication inside
the VM (let them talk to each other) and let a load balancer do the failover? CS would only
have to recognize the failure and restart the failed instance (start from template). The instance
should then know how to sync with the other VMs.
Maybe time should be spent on documenting an optimal failover scenario and optimizing cloudstack
for that scenario instead of spending time on good, but not optimal solutions?
What do you think? What's the benefit of snapshotting? To be honest, I am a little bit confused
about all the different options of ensuring business continuity in cloudstack (and other cloud
management tools). E. g.: should I turn on automatic updates in Ubuntu, just keep an outdated
template and have it update to the latest software versions each time a new VM is created
from that template or should I do manual updates and create a new template each time? The
same question still stands if I consider puppet/chef. Snapshotting seems to be an inefficient
solution to keep the server configuration/software current.
Enlighten me, please :-)
Lisa

> From: Len.Bellemore@ControlCircle.com
> To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: RE: CloudStack DR Approach (not HA)
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:29:01 +0000
>
> +1

be included in, but 4.5 is a possibility.

> With regards to the replication of volume snapshots, that is effectively available today
using the S3 backed secondary storage feature.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

to support this scenario (I don't believe it currently does). Cross zone replication of snapshots
with the ability to bring up VM's from those snapshots is something I'd like to see too.

> Regards,
>
> Kristoffer Sheather
> Cloud Central
> Scale Your Data Center In The Cloud
> Phone: 1300 144 007 | Mobile: +61 414 573 130 | Email:
> kris@cloudcentral.com.au
> LinkedIn: | Skype: kristoffer.sheather | Twitter:
> http://twitter.com/kristofferjon

thread where someone asked about DR, but the answer provided only talked about HA of VMs within
the same Cluster or Zone. This is not my question.

> I am looking for a method to maintain an up-to-date copy of a running VM, including its
data, in another Zone or Region, such that if the first Zone is destroyed, the VM can be brought
up in the other Zone and continue production.

> Before cloud, DR for virtualized environments was typically handled using SAN replication.
The VMs would be quiesced and snapshotted at regular intervals (e.g. hourly), and the SAN
LUNs would be continuously replicated asynchronously. Following this approach, if the primary
site was destroyed, the SAN LUNs would be enabled for read-write at the secondary location,
and the VMs could then be started there, using the last successful snapshot (the last consistency
point).

> I have looked at what Amazon and Rackspace provide for their Clouds, and the approach
seems to be user-initiated quiesced cloud snapshots, combined with Secondary Storage that
is automatically replicated and available throughout their Clouds. Therefore, if the site
where the VM is running gets destroyed, the latest VM snapshot can be deployed from Secondary
Storage to any other Zone.

> I would like to know if anybody has experience/insights using this approach on CloudStack,
particularly using XenServer hosts.

> Is there a mechanism available for end-users to create quiesced CloudStack snapshots
of running production VMs, such that applications and filesystems are put into a consistent
state prior to the snapshot being created?

> Also, can anybody offer insight into how to automatically or continuously replicate Secondary
Storage across Zones or Regions, using NFS-based Secondary Storage (not object storage), such
that CloudStack users will see any be able to deploy their Snapshots in any other Zone or
Region?

> If what I am describing is not yet possible with CloudStack, I would be like to be pointed
towards the part of the CloudStack roadmap that discusses the planned architecture.

> Thanks,
> JJ
>
> Need Enterprise Grade Support for Apache CloudStack?
> Our CloudStack Infrastructure
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the best
24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.