cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: DNS domain name questions
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:14:03 GMT
Brent,

You are seeing 'cs1cloud.local' as your network domain on your guest network as this was inherited
from the global setting ' guest.domain.suffix' which I presume you have change to 'cloud.local'
(it normally defaults to 'cloud.internal')

The reason your Network has the domain starting with cs1, is that CloudStack allocates unique
versions of this domain name to each guest network by prepending cs1, then cs2, cs3, incrementing
for each new network.

However if you set a domain value at the Zone, Domain, Account or Network level, the values
set there will override this.

When a network is created it looks for domain value to use, and uses the first one it finds
based on the following order of precedence.

1. Network
2. Account
3. Domain
4. Zone
5. Global Setting (prepends cs1, cs2 etc)

When launching the first VM, the Add Instance wizard will create a new network for you if
you do not have one already, this does not let you specify a domain name for the network.
 However if you create a new 'Isolated Network' from the Networks tab you can specify the
'Network Domain' as well as the Guest CIDR etc.

For your existing Network, you can simply edit the settings (the pen and paper icon) and update
'Network Domain' to your desired setting.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com