cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Lennert den Teuling <lenn...@pcextreme.nl>
Subject RE: I/O Throttling in CS 4.2.1
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:33:01 GMT
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your quick reply.

> Op 14 februari 2014 om 16:51 schreef Geoff Higginbottom
> <geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>:
>

> Lennert ,
>
> I would imagine it's because VMs created from Templates are using the settings
> in the Compute Offering for the Root Volume, but VMs created from ISOs are
> using the settings in the Disk Offering chosen for the Root Volume.

Ok, if you put it this way it makes total sense.

> It is not very obvious which one should apply, and also confusing from a user
> perspective.

Indeed, if you would for example want to define the I/O limits based on the type
of the offering this is not possible if you would allow people to use templates
and ISOs at the same time.

For example: We have lower I/O rates for our 2 cheaper offerings. Now if you
install from ISO you get a different I/O limit than you would if you install
from template.

> I've not checked, but suggest you take a look and see if there are any bugs or
> feature request already logged, and if not get one logged.

I will have a look. Thinking more and more about this I’m not sure there is even
a proper way to do this. Every way has his up and downsides as long as you are
mixing templates with ISO installs.

The only way I could think (now) of is that the template automatically receives
the closest disk offering (based on size), but doesn't sound very reliable
either.