cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Shanker Balan <shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack 4.2 on XenServer vs KVM
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2014 03:52:40 GMT
Comments inline.

On 26-Jan-2014, at 8:35 am, Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

> On 26.01.2014 00:39, John Mancuso wrote:
>> So, I am planning on setting up a brand new cloud infrastructure
>> using Cloudstack 4.2 on RHEL6. Cloudstack is hypervisor agnostic- I
>> got that... However there are some differences and features that are
>> available on XenServer that are not available on KVM. This is from a
>> Citrix salesperson:
>> "Here is some feedback on the following benefits of using Citrix
>> XenServer over KVM:
>>  1.  Recurring Volume Snapshots with delta - Citrix XenServer is the
>> only hypervisor where recurring snapshots will be deltas (in other
>> hypervisors every volume snapshot is full) - this provides significant
>> space savings on secondary storage
>>  2.  VM snapshots (taking a snapshot of a VM volumes including
>> memory state - not possible with KVM which supports only volume
>> snapshots)
>>  3.  Live Storage Migration is only possible on Citrix XenServer
>> (not supported on KVM)
>>  4.  Live CPU and Memory Scaling for running instances (not supported on KVM)"
>> On the Redhat side they have made it very clear that while Xen is
>> still available, KVM is the hypervisor technology they are pushing &
>> supporting going forward.
>> On the Apache/Citrix side, I get the feeling that from a QA
>> perspective CloudStack (and CloudPlatform) is based and tested on
>> XenServer and would be preferable in a stable & reliable  Production
>> environment.
>
> Hello,
>
> You are mostly correct, those points seem valid and right now Xenserver is the better
supported hypervisor, it is quite mature and with loads of nice features. I'm seriously considering
it myself.

> Having said that, many clouds deployed nowadays are on KVM; yes it is missing some features
but it has a huge user base, it's very stable and the performance is great; for me the killer
feature is that I got a "real" OS as hypervisor, an OS that I have used extensively and am
quite familiar with, for which we have deployment and monitoring infra in place etc etc. Additionally,
if you want to use more exotic stuff, such as GlusterFS, Ceph or whatever crazy thing (CLVM
over multiple mpath devices?) can run in RHEL/CentOS proper KVM is again the best choice.
If you want VXLAN you are again limited to KVM afaik.

> So it kind of depends on your needs, luckily there are good quality options to satisfy
most of them.

What I personally find most relevant for choosing a hypervisor is guest OS
support. Not all hypervisors are created equal when it comes to supporting
a wide mix of operating systems.

Given that XenServer and KVM are both open source, I would recommend running
both. It gives you OS flexibility and spreads risks.

If you can afford, add VMware also. Enterprises love VMware.

Regards.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560
055