cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to CloudStack // Questions
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:29:35 GMT

On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Peter Jönsson <peter.jonsson@klarna.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have been working on adding support for Cloudstack in packer.io. This way it is simple
to create either new templates from scratch or update an existing template. For creating the
initial template from scratch we have a custom iPXE ISO that will fetch the iPXE-script via
userdata, boot kernel+initrd and finally perform a kickstart installation (we use centos).

> So the no more manual intervention to upload ISOs, select options in installer, stop
the VM and finally create the template. Everything is automated.

> Plan is to upstream this to packer proper or release it as a independent plugin. Currently
the code need some cleanup.

That's terrific Peter, I am trying to wrap my mind around packer these days, so it would be
great to see a CloudStack plugin.

-sebastien

> // peter
>

> On Tuesday 21 January 2014 at 06:26, Shanker Balan wrote:
>
>> On 21-Jan-2014, at 5:10 am, Chad <chad@logicweb.com (http://web.com)> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Erik.
>>>
>>> I've installed O/S on dedicated servers over the years using USB method,
>>> easily done as you boot off the USB.
>>

>> I personally use PXE boot to install OS on bare-metal hardware. Running around
>> in cold colos with a USB stick would be fun though. :)
>>
>>> But I've never done it on a virtual
>>> machine. Can you explain how an o/s installed in a VM that is already
>>> created with Centos for example? I've used pre-made templates provided by
>>> OpenVZ / KVM communities over the years for traditional non-cloud VPS’.
>>

>> I would not trust pre-made template from 3rd parties for security reasons. YMMV.
>>

>> --
>> @shankerbalan
>>
>> M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
>> shanker.balan@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com (http://www.shapeblue.com) | Twitter:@shapeblue
>> ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore
- 560 055

>> Need Enterprise Grade Support for Apache CloudStack?
>> Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>>
>> Apache CloudStack Bootcamp training courses
>>
>> **NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 08/09 January 2014, London<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 13-17 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 20-24 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered
trademark.