cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From chris snow <chsnow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack advanced networking for development environment
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:58:39 GMT
Ah, no worries.  Thanks for the response Vadim.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk
<Vadim.Kimlaychuk@elion.ee> wrote:
> Chris,
>
>         Thanks for the fast reply. I have looked into your project. It is not exactly
what we are looking for. Your project resembles http://devstack.org/ but for CS. We are looking
basically the opposite - real set of VM-s but at smaller scale. We have one host full of management
VM-s (db, 2xmanagement VM-s, storage VM, load balancer) and 3 hosts (for XEN guests). It is
nearly production environment, but without L3 switch.
>         I would say that basic network in CS works well and we have no problems setting
it up.  But for advanced networking where traffic should be isolated and routed it is much
more difficult. We often get "No route to host" and "destination unreachable" because of that.

> Vadim.

suggested that it is possible to deploy cloudstack like this for testing purposes.

> I have been roughly following this article:
>
> http://www.greenhills.co.uk/2013/08/30/cloudstack-single-server-on-ubuntu-with-kvm.html
>
> I have been automating the setup using vagrant.  I am getting close to completing, but
there is still some distance to go.

> My project is here: https://github.com/snowch/stratos-developer-tools.
>
> It may be useful for you, but it will only get you so far in setting up cloudstack.
I still have to figure out how to get the network setup correctly.

> Best regards,
>
> Chris
>

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlaychuk@elion.ee> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>             We would like to setup small cloud to make tests before going to production.
This cloud supposed to have the same "advanced networking" configuration deployed over plain
network under 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.
>>             Roughly this:
>>                         192.168.1.1 - external GW, DHCP, internet
>>                         192.168.1.2-99 - guests
>>                         192.168.1.101-199 - management, load balancer, VIP-s
>>                         192.168.1.200-210 - storage
>>
>> Is it possible to make such a setup without using external L3 level switches? I.e.
is it possible to route internal traffic through some kind of virtual switch? What it can
be?

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69