cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nevo <snowge...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: suspend/pause cloudstack VM (kvm hypervisor)
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:10:56 GMT
Hi Nux!
   That's why I said real "suspension" might rely on "virtual machine snapshot with memory
capturing".  see this discussion: http://markmail.org/message/apchw5rsf4xgevt4?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Ecloudstack-%2A+suspend

   Probably the real question is whether kvm could/will support "vm snapshot"?

Nevo

On Jan 7, 2014, at 8:04 PM, Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

> On 06.01.2014 22:10, Nevo wrote:
>> Hi Sebgoa!
>>  Thanks for your suggest.  I knew how to start/stop VM, but what I
>> wanted is pause a VM without shutdown (or stop in CS term).  Using
>> "virsh" could "suspend" a VM, but I doubt it is a real "suspend" which
>> will capture the current VM memory. I guess this feature relies on
>> unsupported "virtual machine snapshot" for kvm, right?
>
> Hi,
>
> Implementing VM suspension might be tricky, in that what if the host gets rebooted? The
VM will not be "started" in suspended mode, it will be running normally potentially creating
head aches and so on. That's the main problem I see with this feature.