cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Fuchs, Andreas (SwissTXT)" <Andreas.Fu...@swisstxt.ch>
Subject RE: instance naming in a vmware 5.1 cloudstack 4.2.1 setup
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:14:45 GMT
Hi Pierre

We are aware that vm.instancename.flag=false lead's tot he described naming. But our experience
with this setting was not good, we are running also some PaaS services for our client's and
troubleshooting became a nightmare as the client is not aware if the "i-xx-yyyy-VM" name of
his instances and for our support it's not easy to find the releation between client's hostname
and cs instance name.

Also in the 4.2.1 documentation it states clearly that the naming should be as follow:

"The following table explains how a VM name is displayed in different scenarios.
User-Provided Display Name | vm.instancename.flag | Hostname on the VM | Name on vCenter
		| Internal Name
Yes				| True			| Display name		| i-<user_id>-<vm_id>-displayName 	| i-<user_id>-<vm_id>-displayName

We really like to know if somebody else sees our naming issue as well or if it could be related
to our setup/installation

Regards
Andi