cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Shanker Balan <shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Bridge management network
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:42:36 GMT
Hi Robert,

Comments inline.

On 20-Dec-2013, at 10:53 pm, Robert Navarro <crshman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I realize that this is a highly unusual use case, but here we are.
>
> I have a 2U, 4 node server going to the Colo and I want to use all the
> nodes as vm hosts.
>
> The biggest thing though, I want to firewall off the management network
> using pfSense or some other software firewall VM that also resides on these
> hosts.

Ok.

> Now I figure I can run two KVM VMs on two separate physical hosts outside
> of CloudStack to accomplish this, but I was wondering if there was a way to
> pipe the management network into a CloudStack managed VM so I can take
> advantage of the HA stuff that CloudStack offers.

The CloudStack VM HA features are available only when a shared primary storage
is being used (NFS, iSCSI, FCOE).

Are you planning to use a shared storage service in your CloudStack setup?

> Let me know if you want to know any of the particulars of the networking
> layout and I'd be more than happy to supply the details.

While I have not personally tried what you are attempting but I don’t see
any reason why you can’t do it. I would however be concerned from an operability
point of view - what would happen to your gateway VM:

a) If primary storage is unreachable
b) If primary storage is down for maintenance

Am sure there will be a lot more gotchas along the way which will require
“workarounds”.

>From an uptime SLA perspective, I would stick to having a management
network out-of-band from the production network.

Regards.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560
055

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
08/09 January 2014, London<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
13-17 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>