cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Shanker Balan <shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: KVM - Adding volume to Ubuntu Server is not shown
Date Sun, 22 Dec 2013 07:29:46 GMT
On 22-Dec-2013, at 8:42 am, Shanker Balan <shanker.balan@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> On 22-Dec-2013, at 2:19 am, Marty Sweet <msweet.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I know certain linux distributions will do it automatically every
>> so often, this may be wrong though. Did the guide fix the issue for you?
>>

> Andrei, I hope your template has a working udev service:

Nm, I am able to reproduce the issue on my Ubuntu lucid KVM template
which I just created.

I can see CloudStack create a “vdb” being created as a virt-io block
device but nothing turns up inside the Guest lucid instance unless I reboot.

It smells like a hot plug issue…

So I forced ‘acpiphp' to load as per
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Hotadd_pci_devices

And now…

attach+detach #1:

shanu@ubuntu3:~$ date;sudo fdisk -l /dev/vdb
Sun Dec 22 12:57:36 IST 2013
shanu@ubuntu3:~$ date;sudo fdisk -l /dev/vdb
Sun Dec 22 12:57:47 IST 2013

Disk /dev/vdb: 5368 MB, 5368709120 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10402 cylinders, total 10485760 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/vdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
shanu@ubuntu3:~$ date;sudo fdisk -l /dev/vdb
Sun Dec 22 12:57:53 IST 2013

attach+detach #2:

shanu@ubuntu3:~$ date;sudo fdisk -l /dev/vdb
Sun Dec 22 12:57:59 IST 2013

Disk /dev/vdb: 5368 MB, 5368709120 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10402 cylinders, total 10485760 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/vdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
shanu@ubuntu3:~$ date;sudo fdisk -l /dev/vdb
Sun Dec 22 12:58:04 IST 2013
shanu@ubuntu3:~$

Andrei, can you try again with the hot plug modules?

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560
055

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
08/09 January 2014, London<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
13-17 January 2014, GLOBAL. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>