cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Domenico De Monte <d.demo...@netsons.com>
Subject Re: public ip of system vm and public ip of guest vm on same network segment overlaps
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 08:05:03 GMT
Before all, thank you for your reply. You explain me many concepts, really important to know,
that were not clear in CS documentation.

In total there are 4 NIC on each server, 2 assigned to vSwitch0 and 2 to vSwitch1.

In according of what you replied, my new zone configuration will be:

1 physical interface for internet traffic ( Public traffic, Guest Public traffic both connected
to vSwitch0 )
1 physical interface for internal traffic ( Management traffic, Storage traffic, guest internal
traffic both connected to vSwitch1 ). I want separate guest internal traffic with guest public
traffic for many reasons.

You said that for guest traffic, a hard requirement is VLAN usage. Meanwhile for public traffic,
management and storage VLAN is not needed.

This point here is crucial because i still do not understand difference between public traffic
and guest public traffic.

If i understand, public traffic of a zone is for system vm only ? And guest public traffic
is for guest vm only ?

If so, why if we use basic network configuration, we do not have “overlaps” network issue
? Of course in this case we can not let users use internal physical switch ( vswitch1 ) for
lan traffic.

Anyway my target is still to reduce public IPs usage and of course do not use SNAT.

In order to do so, i want definitively follow your guide: http://shankerbalan.net/blog/create-a-shared-network-with-public-ips-in-cloudstack/
( i read it also before, very well done :) )

But following this i still have problem of CS network overlaps if i want use same /24 for
both type of public traffic.

Consider that we want let customers use a public IP and a private IP directly on their vm.
For internet traffic without vlan. This is our goal.

Assign for each vm a VLAN for public traffic, we will lose many ips just for subnetting.

So there is no way to use a single /24 for public system traffic and guests public traffic
without split this /24 in smaller subnet ?

I think key is to assign just 2 physical interface as you suggest and try to see if overlaps
issue goes away, like it was for basic network configuration.

Waiting for your reply

Best regards

Il giorno 04/dic/2013, alle ore 05:24, Shanker Balan <shanker.balan@shapeblue.com> ha
scritto:

> Comments inline.
>
> On 04-Dec-2013, at 6:18 am, Domenico De Monte <d.demonte@netsons.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> i added a zone with advanced network with following network configuration on
>> CS 4.2 but i was not able to setup same IP class on public traffic ( of system vm
)
>> and guest traffic ( of guest vm ).
>>
>> Scenario
>> Servers with VMware ESXi 5.1 have multiple nic:
>
>> 2 nic connected to physical internet switch ( vSwitch0 standard )
>
> Am not intricately familiar with ESXi but I assume these 2 NICs
> are in a bond (LACP/LAGG) and configured as vSwitch0 for Internet traffic.
>
>> 2 nic connected to physical private switch ( vSwitch1 standard )
>
> vSWitch1 is also a LACAP/LAGG bond of 2 NICs?
>
>> On CS i create a zone with advanced network and 5 physical interface:
>
> You would only require 2 CloudStack physical interface. “Physical Interface 1”
> for Internet vSwitch0 traffic and “Physical Interface 2” for Internal vSwitch1 traffic.
>
>> 1 physical interface for Public traffic connected to vSwitch0
>> ( i think it's system vm public traffic ).
>
> The “untrusted” public Internet traffic would go to “Physical Interface 1”.
> The “Public Traffic” includes all public Internet traffic (Guest VM Public
> traffic + SSVM Public Traffic + CPVM Public Traffic etc).
>
>> 1 physical interface for Guest traffic connected to vSwitch0
>> ( i think it's guest vm public traffic ).
>
> The “untrusted” guest traffic would also go to “Physical Interface 1”.
>
>> 1 physical interface for Guest traffic connected to vSwitch1
>> ( i think it's guest vm lan traffic ).
>
> So basically all Guest VM traffic and any Public traffic gets combined
> onto “Physical Interface 1” which is mapped to vSwitch0
>

>> 1 physical interface for Storage traffic connected to
>> vSwitch1 ( i am sure it's storage traffic for snapshot, deploy and so on ).
>
> Yep, so storage traffic is on “Physical Interface 2” which is mapped to vSwitch1
>

>> 1 physical interface for Management traffic connected to vSwitch1
>> ( i am sure it's for system vm traffic and so on ).
>
> Yep, so Management traffic is also on “Physical Interface 2”.
>
>> I do not want use vlan and i read on ml that if i do not setup them,
>> they are just ignore from CS.
>
> You require VLANs for “GUEST” VM traffic. This is a hard requirement.
> VLAN is optional for the other traffic types of “PUBLIC”, “MANAGEMENT” and “STORAGE”.
>
> To sum up,
>
> Public Traffic -> Physical Interface 1 -> vSwitch0 -> 2xNICs (LACP/LAGG)
> Guest Traffic  -> Physical Interface 1 -> vSwitch0 -> 2xNICs (LACP/LAGG)
> Management Traffic -> Physical Interface 2 -> vSwitch1 -> 2xNICs (LACP/LAGG)
> Storage Traffic    -> Physical Interface 2 -> vSwitch1 -> 2xNICs (LACP/LAGG)
>
>> Assuming that i have a public ip class like 1.2.3.0/24.
>>
>> On public traffic ( system vm i think ) i setup a range like following ( example
):
> [...]

Supernova s.r.l.
Via G. Misiticoni, 3
65126 - Pescara
ITALY

www.netsons.com
Domenico De Monte
CEO

t. (+39) 085 45 100 52
m. (+39) 339 79 033 98
e. d.demonte@netsons.com

Netsons è un marchio registrato dalla Supernova s.r.l.

Le informazioni trasmesse sono riservate alla persona o alla società indicata come destinatario,
e possono includere contenuti considerati confidenziali. Ogni elaborazione, comunicazione,
trasmissione o altro utilizzo, anche azioni conseguenti alla conoscenza di queste informazioni
da parte di chiunque non sia espressamente indicato come destinatario è proibita. Nel caso
abbiate ricevuto per errore questa comunicazione, siete pregati di darne avviso a info [at]
netsons.com ed eliminare ogni stampa ed ogni traccia informatica. Il ricevente dovrà inoltre
accertarsi che gli eventuali allegati non contengano virus prima di aprirli. Qualunque opinione
o affermazione presentata in questo messaggio è da ritenersi propria dell'autore e non rappresenta
necessariamente la posizione della Società.

and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact:
info [at] netsons.com and delete the material from any computer. If this email contains attachments
you should ensure they are checked for viruses before opening them. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.