cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Michal Rodzos @ CloudCentral" <michal.rod...@cloudcentral.com.au>
Subject RE: Replacing Virtual Router with a custom virtual appliance template
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 01:44:18 GMT
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the link, I did came across it before.
In the mean time I think I've found some information how other people did something very similar
to what I'm trying:
http://www.slideshare.net/mice_xia/integration-3rd-party-security-solution
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Palo+Alto+Firewall+Integration
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/external+hosted+private+gateways

Looks like some coding is required to develop a CS Plugin and the virtual appliance will have
the expose some kind of API to for the ACS to be able to manage it.

Regards,
 Michal Rodzos
 Solutions Architect

 Phone: 1300 144 007 | Mobile: +61 421 834 204
  | Skype: michal.rodzos | Twitter

From: "Lisa B." <nordlicht1984@hotmail.de>
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2013 7:29 AM
To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org" <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Replacing Virtual Router with a custom virtual appliance template

hey michal,  i am not sure if this is what you are looking for but i just came across this
blog post while tracking down a different problem:  http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/08/30/going-beyond-cloudstack-advanced-networking-how-i-replaced-the-virtual-router-with-my-own-physical-linux-router/
 good luck! lisa  ________________________________ > From: michal.rodzos@cloudcentral.com.au
 > To: users@cloudstack.apache.org  > Subject: Replacing Virtual Router with a custom
virtual appliance template  > Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 14:09:02 +1100  >  >  > Is
it possible to create a network offering, which would use a custom  > virtual appliance
instead of the default Debian template?  >  > My understanding is currently only following
network providers are  > supported/available in ACS:  >  > - Citrix NetScaler  >
100v (Citrix CloudPlatform only?)  >  >  >  > I've found a wiki page  > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Palo+Alto+Firewall+Integration&
 > that somebody managed to integrate the Palo Alto Firewall into ACS.  > Plus some
other people managed to get the midokura or Nicira to work ?  >  > So it seems that
custom network providers are feasible.  >  > I'd like to provide a premium network offering
with a commercial  > security gateway/UTM virtual appliance as a network provider. Ie the
 > FortiGate UTM provides VPN, NAT, DNS, DHCP, routing and other network  > features
similar to Virtual Router, but also offers security features  > like anitispam, virus scanning,
deep packet inspection, IPS etc. So the  > question is how hard is, and how much dev effort
is required?  >  > Other option is to create a network like this  > Internet ->
ACS VR-> FortiGate TM VM -> customer VMs  > But not sure how can force all the public
traffic from the VMs to go  > via the FortiGate?  >  > The environment is XenServer
6.2 and ACS 4.2.1 with Advanced Networking  >  > Thanks,  > Michal  >  >  >
Australian  > Cloud]<http://www.cloudcentral.com.au/?utm_source=michal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cloudcentral>