cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [poll] linux template disk size
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:01:12 GMT
I agree with Lennert, 20GB for Linux is a good size for the Template.

For windows, I would recommend using something in the region of 80GB as it can get bloated
with updates etc.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Lennert den Teuling [mailto:lennert@pcextreme.nl]
Sent: 01 November 2013 11:58
To: users
Subject: Re: [poll] linux template disk size

Hi Lucian,

> Op 31 oktober 2013 om 22:35 schreef Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro>:
>

> Hello,
>
> Given the fact root disks can't be resized it has become quite
> important for me to come up with a proper way of partitioning
> cloudstack linux VMs.
> I'd like to find out what size are people usually using for their
> templates or what size have they found appropiate/practical? Any
> thoughts on partitioning scheme?

The templates we make available to our clients are 20GB. This seems to be enough for them,
if they need more space the can add a datadisk. For systems like Ubuntu and CentOS it seems
less that 10GB can become tricky on the long term.

We use LVM for the partitioning so you could extend you root device over the datadisk. But
it's not something that we do quite often, normally we just add a data drive (which can be
resized) and mount it as homedir (cause this has the most data in most cases) for example.

Hope this answers your question!

Regards,
Lennert