cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: SDN and vlans question
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:56:00 GMT
On 29.11.2013 10:12, Andrija Panic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been requested to try to reduce number of vlans that are
> configured
> on PHYSICAL switches to minimum (like 4-5 vlans, for mgmt,
> storage,guest,
> etc....)
>
> From my understanding of CS advanced netwokring, all traffic
> isolation/separation is done by means of VLANS.
>
> So for potentialu 1000 clients  - I would need 1000 vlans to isolate
> traffic between clients VPC/VMs...I don't understand the possiblity to
> use
> advanced networking and use only few vlans to have traffic isolation
> for
> that 1000 clients.
>
> Is there any other solution (that I'm not aware of) that minimizes
> request
> for change on physical network equipment and reduces vlan usag to few
> vlans?

You can either use just one big zone with security groups, so just 1
vlan is used and customers are separated by iptables/ebtables (my
favourite) or you can use GRE tunnels (less mature and more overhead
afaik), there is also support coming for VXLAN which will become sort of
a standard imho. Nicira NVP SDN is another possibility if you can afford
it which is tested and works.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!