cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Steve Searles <ssear...@zimcom.net>
Subject Compute offerings and Templates
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:56:01 GMT
I am looking for a little guidance in tying templates to compute offerings or filtering them
in the instance deployment wizard. For example as we step through the wizard we can choose
Zone -> Template -> Compute Offering, in our case it is possible to create an undeployable
situation by choosing a compute offering where a host tag is defined but the template selected
does not support the hypervisor in the host tag.

For example,  I have both xenserver and vmware.  I have defined a compute offering with a
storage tag for Fibrechannel storage that is not available on xenserver but you can still
choose that compute offering after selecting a xenserver template which will make an undeployable
situation.  Perhaps I am not using host/storage tags properly but they seem to be functioning
as intended.  I am trying to make the deployment process as simple as possible for the end
user and not allow them to choose incompatible offerings.  I fully admit that I may be looking
at this wrong and am looking for some guidance on setting up the offerings.  I have the following
defined and it seems kind of a mess.

Vmware-
                Storage Offering #1 - EMC VMAX (High I/O)
                Storage Offering #2 - EMX VNX (Standard I/O)
                Storage Offering #3 -  EMC ISOLON (NFS/Replicated)

XenServer Storage Offering #1 - EMC AX (Standard I/O)
                      Storage Offering #2 -  EMC ISOLON (NFS/Replicated)

Steve Searles