cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: domains/subdomains headaches
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:13:19 GMT
I did some testing last night (before seeing Nitin's response) and using the updateTemplatePermissions
command could work for you but with caveats.

updateTemplatePermissions does the following (from API page)
" Updates a template visibility permissions. A public template is visible to all accounts
within the same domain. A private template is visible only to the owner of the template. A
priviledged template is a private template with account permissions added. Only accounts specified
under the template permissions are visible to them"

Full details can be found here
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.2/root_admin/updateTemplatePermissions.html

The command assumes it is being run by an account within the same Domain as the target account
so you cannot run it as Root.

You would have to create an account within the domain you want to allocated the Template to,
then import the Template, but do NOT make it Public.

Then using the updateTemplatePermissions API call whilst authenticated as the account who
imported the Template (suggest you use CloudMonkey for this) assign permissions to the other
Accounts within the Domain.

This does not filter down to Sub Domains, so you would need to repeat the process for every
Domain.

Suggest you log a feature request to get this enhanced to allow you to 'Specify the Domain
ID' when assigning permissions.

You could also log a 2nd Feature Request to 'Enable allocation of a Template to a Domain and
optionally its Sub Domains'

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com