cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: CS 4.2 VM snapshot is not enabled for hypervisor type: KVM
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 13:30:38 GMT
Len,

+1 from me re renaming 'Volume Snapshots' to 'Volume Backups'

Why don’t you log a feature request

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Len Bellemore [mailto:Len.Bellemore@ControlCircle.com]
Sent: 06 November 2013 12:40
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: CS 4.2 VM snapshot is not enabled for hypervisor type: KVM

I stumbled upon this feature yesterday on my XenServer cluster - I too thought that it would
only work on VMWare.
I'm using XenServer 6.1 and can verify that the vm snapshot works.  I'm not running the Enterprise
edition, so memory snapshots fail with a licensing error.

With this feature enabled, what I would love to see is the old style snapshots renamed to
"backups" because they aren't really snapshots in the modern vmware/XenServer sense.  You
can't really roll back to them, and a snapshot indicates quick point in time image of the
vm, something that the old style snapshots do not do.

Well done for getting true snapshots sorted out.  This is a feature my users are very happy
about.

Len