cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jiri B <ji...@devio.us>
Subject Installing cloudstack mgmt server on non-Linux OS
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 22:29:53 GMT
Hi,

my attempt is to install cloudstack management server on
a non-Linux OS (an UNIX-like one). Of course not for production
setup in this case... :-)

But... I'm not sure I fully understand some basic concepts.

Are most of the scripts in /usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts
used only when cloudstack mgmt server is also acting as
hypervisor? I see there's a lot of Linux specific commands
inside scripts (brctl, iptables...).

I also could not find info what is a process of creating
new VM (when using Linux KVM hypervisor, remote host).
Does mgmt server need permanent access to storage (NFS), and
is mgmt server creating new VM image with qemu-img inside
this storage or does delegate this task to a remote host?

Hence... the main confusion is how much is management server
involved in the show. If it is just giving orders (when using
remote hypervisor), like in RHEVM/oVirt case, and thus the tasks
are done by cloudstack agent (in KVM hypervisor case)...

Thank you very much for clarification.

jirib