cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Lewis <adr...@alsiconsulting.co.uk>
Subject SSVM Public IP, NAT and L2/L3 connectivity
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:11:28 GMT
Hi All,

Still in the planning stages of deploying my first CS install and I have a
question about the SSVM and the apparent requirement for a public routable
IP address. From what I can gather, the only interaction that the SSVM has
with the internet is for downloading files from user or admin supplied
URLs. Does this mean that nothing actually makes inbound connections
directly to it from the internet and that it only ever makes outbound
connections? If so, why does it need a public IP?

Would it be possible to simply have a route to the internet via the
management network or to give it an IP from private network pool that has
access to the internet via some other NAT device?

Secondly, I’ve seen some excellent slides from Geoff Higginbottom but I’m
still not quite sure whether the SSVM actually has four vNICs or whether it
simply needs access to four networks via a lesser number of vNICs. Can
anyone clarify how many vNICs each SSVM has and what the routing table
looks like on the VM itself, especially where the management server and
secondary storage server are on subnets accessible via a L3 hop and not
directly attached to either the hypervisor mgmt or SSVM vNICs (and these
subnets aren’t accessible by a default route on the SSVM)?

My main concern is the public IP requirement as I’m finding it very
difficult to get enough public IPs from my DC, especially where there
doesn’t appear to be a reason for it. I can’t simply get a nice big block
of IPv4 like some other CS users may be used to! I’m considering joining
RIPE but this is not especially cheap and doesn’t seem to guarantee that
I’d get an assignment of IPv4 addresses anyway.

Confused,

Adrian

---

Alsi Consulting Ltd