cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Public Cloud with 1 IP address?
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:00:06 GMT
This is not really a CloudStack problem.
It depends what you want the VMs to do.
You usually do not need to expose them directly.
Some might be database servers or other web servers that are only
accessed by applications that are touched by the public.
If you want an HTTP server to serve content to the public from a VM, you
can put 1 public server running an HTTP server like Apache HTTP and use
the proxy functions in Apache to redirect requests to the appropriate
internal machine.

The answers to these questions are pretty much the same if you have real
physical machines behind the machine with the public IP or if the
machines are in your private cloud.
You need to give the private machines private names and private IPs and
let the public machine get what it needs from the right private machine.

There are other solutions to other problems but that is one way to
handle web sites on machines that are not on public IPs.

This is probably not the right forum for your question and you might get
more help in a forum about networking or about the particular
application that you are trying to deploy.
Since your question is not really about CloudStack, not many people here
are going to want to get involved in your topic although most of them
know the answers to your questions.

I hope that  this helps.
BTW: This is exactly the situation that I am trying to deploy as well so
I can move some of my apps off real hardware.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President