cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Noel Kendall <noeldkend...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Possible to place guest VM swap on local storage?
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 01:12:27 GMT
I can update with the following: I had to enable the 'use.local.storage' configuration setting
- however, one quickly discovers that thisconfiguration value has been OMITTED in V4.1. I
had to perform a manual mysql INSERT to add it to the configuration, with a valuesetting of
'true', under component 'management-server'.
Additionally, I had to enable local storage in the zone.
After restarting both the cloud manager and the cloud agent on the KVM host, I saw a primary
storage added to the configuration thatmatched the name of the host. On that primary storage,
I added the tag 'swap'.
Similarly, I configured a disk service offering that pointed to local storage, also with the
tag 'swap'.
I created a new virtual disk, using the service offering, and attached it to the running VM.
Adding new swap space on the drive was thenpure guest administration.
Hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same thing. The two surprises in the process
were the automatic creation of the primary storage, and the missing configuration row in the
database (bug).
> From: noeldkendall@hotmail.com
> To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Possible to place guest VM swap on local storage?
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:24:27 -0400
>
> Your suggestion is exactly the process I attempted to follow, but it was not permitted,which
is why I have come to the forum. I defined a storage service offering, local, of1G.
> When I try to create a data disk using that offering, the attempt fails with the message
'Zone is not configured to use local storage but volume's disk offering LocalSwap uses it'.I
understand that the 'local storage' enabling configuration is in the zone definition, and
isalterable at any time. I see the box in the UI to enable it.
> This leaves me a dilemma... if I configure the zone to use local storage, then I am uncertainof
the degree of risk to which I expose the zone... does my next VM ROOT disk end up onlocal?
Or is that taken because the VM disk offering will use 'shared' and this is how the placementis
controlled - via shared/local? I want to be sure before I do this, as I have a number ofguests
and data disks already defined and do not dare risk blowing up this running cloud.