cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are we going to see CS 4.2 rc1 out anytime soon?
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:55:13 GMT

On Aug 28, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> I am hoping that an installation procedure that will not install would be considered
a critical/major blocker.
> It stops everyone trying to get started with CloudStack and generates a ton of work in
this forum fixing installations that are not working.

> The dev team asked for help, we read the docs, wrote the JIRAs. Some of the fixes for
the JIRAs are pretty clear and some require a bit of thought and some restructuring of the
docs to get rid of useless commentary or to move stuff from one place to another.

> Someone has to fix the docs or fix the software to match the docs.
>
> There are probably more bugs in the installation but since I have never been able to
find out the exact error or omission that causes the problem, I have not been able to write
a JIRA for that.
> I have never been able to get it to install so I can not even suggest how to describe
the network setup in a way that makes sense and works.

> The installation needs to be tested by someone who will know that the step is wrong or
that some other step needs to be added.
> I am willing to act as a dumb sysadmin beside someone who knows what it is supposed to
say but I have written as many JIRAs as I know how, at the moment

> Ron

Ron thanks for that,

I believe that we all recognize that the docs need a lot of work. We as a community have discussed
breaking out the docs in a separate repository so that they can be managed easier and fixes
can be made public between releases.

Also while there are clearly dev folks in this community, everyone can help fix the docs,
by providing JIRA tickets as you have done, or even by submitting patches to fix them.

Everyone is doing its best to make CloudStack a great software project. They are over 280
clouds in production that we know of, so while the docs are not great, a lot of folks manage
to get it working.

I am looking at your bugs now, in my spare time, and I will see if I can fix a few of them
once I put my kids to sleep. If you want you can actually make them blocker bugs and join
the dev@ list to make your point that they need to be fixe before releasing 4.2.

We would really appreciate the help from anyone on these lists to help file bugs and fix them.

thanks,

-Sebastien

> On 28/08/2013 11:59 AM, Conrad Geiger wrote:
>> Blockers are usually the issues that prevent a release.  Other bugs are often fixed
in a point release.  Time based released makes it a little interesting.