cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Yong Chen <Y...@coredesktop.com>
Subject RE: The snapshot chain is too long
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:29:39 GMT
Can anyone help please? Is below correct?

Yong

From: Yong Chen
Sent: Monday, 15 July 2013 11:58 AM
To: Cloudstack users mailing list
Subject: RE: The snapshot chain is too long

My understand of how snapshot works (XenServer as hypervisor) in CloudStack is:

1. User takes a snapshot of volume either manually or by schedule
2. CloudStack does API call to XS for taking a snapshot of the particular VHD - this happens
on primary storage
3. CloudStack use SSVM to copy the newly created snapshot (VHD) from primary to secondary
storage
4. CloudStack make API call to coalesce snapshot chain for the volume on primary storage

This way CloudStack can keep snapshot chain length minimum on primary storage. It should never
grow near the XenServer limit of 30 snapshots.

As of VHD snapshot chain on secondary storage, it is different from primary storage's. There
is a global setting 'snapshot.delta.max' (default to 16) to determine how often should CS
start a new chain with full copy of VHD.

Above is what my understanding is. If it's not accurate please let me know.

And my problem is some VHD's snapshot chain does hit to the limit of 30 on XenServer.

Regards,

Yong