cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Multiple Storage Interfaces
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 13:56:42 GMT
Hi Len,

What you are trying to do is perfectly possible, however confusingly it has nothing to do
with the CloudStack Physical Network 'storage'.  The CloudStack Storage Network is only used
when accessing Secondary Storage, and is something which causes lots of confusion.  (re-writing
the official docs in relation to this is on my very long list of things to do)

All you need to do is create two networks mapped to two different Bonds on your XenServer
(assuming you want to use Bonding) then add a two new IPs, mapped to these networks.  As XenServer
cannot VLAN TAG the traffic for Storage or Management Networks, you will need to set the Switch
Ports to Access Ports and let your switch add the appropriate VLAN Tags.  This also highlights
the need for dedicated NICs, one for each Storage Network, which is advisable in order to
get optimum performance.  If you are using Jumbo Frames, remember to set the MTU on the Bond,
before mapping an IP to the Network.

As longs as these CIDRs are unique, and do not overlap your CloudStack Management CIDR, when
you add Primary Storage via CloudStack, your XenServers will simply use the appropriate Bond
when they communicate with the Storage.  Traffic routing is handled automatically by the XenServers
based on the destination IPs.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com