cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Primary storage failure
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:38:06 GMT
Dean,

I am guessing you are using NFS for your Primary Storage.

This is actually 'by design'.  The logic is that if the storage goes offline, then all VMs
must have also failed, and a 'forced' reboot of the Host 'might' automatically fix things.

This is great if you only have one Primary Storage, but typically you have more than one,
so whilst the reboot might fix the failed storage, it will also kill off all the perfectly
good VMs which were still happily running.

The fix for XenServer Hosts is to:

1. Modify /opt/xensource/bin/xenheartbeat.sh on all your Hosts, commenting out the two entries
which have "reboot -f"

2. Identify the PID of the script  - pidof -x xenheartbeat.sh

3. Restart the Script  - kill <pid>

4. Force reconnect Host from the UI,  the script will then re-launch on reconnect

If you running KVM, I'm guessing there is a similar script, but I have not tried this yet
for anything other than XenSever (it does not apply to ESXi)

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com