cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Nordgren, Bryce L -FS" <bnordg...@fs.fed.us>
Subject RE: Networking config question
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:16:48 GMT
Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for your reply. I had been associating "private network" with the IP space allocated
to eth0, then trying to divide up that IP space among the various types of traffic (...because
the wiki told me to [1]) If I understand what you are saying correctly, the division between
traffic types is not by IP range, but by subnet...except for the distinction between "reserved
system IPs" and all other traffic on the management network, which is by IP range so that
cloudstack can share not only with a different traffic type, but with IPs controlled by some
completely external entity (such as whomever assigns IPs to hosts). However, this ability
to share a subnet should not be considered to extend to cloudstack-managed guest traffic.
I have a pretty low confidence in my understanding of the rules at this point. I tried to
apply your advice, so if I may summarize what I have now, would you be able to tell me whether
I need further education?:

Host eth0: IP: 10.1.5.254; gw: 10.1.4.1; netmask: 255.255.254.0
Host eth1: IP: none; gw: none; netmask: none (however, it is plugged into the University's
switch)
Host bridges "privatebr0" (eth0) and "publicbr0" (eth1) created.
Using KVM.

Guest CIDR: 10.1.1.0/24 (the default provided by cloudstack)
Management network: 10.1.4.30-10.1.4.50 (gw: 10.1.4.1; netmask: 255.255.254.0)
Public traffic: 192.168.56.41-192.168.56.90 (gw:192.168.56.254; netmask: 255.255.255.0)
Guest and Management traffic have "privatebr0" KVM traffic label.
Public traffic has "publicbr0" KVM traffic label
All VLAN fields have been left blank.

The management server is NFS exporting both primary and secondary storage.

I've started from a freshly re-installed host (compute-0-0), removed everything from the NFS
exported storage directories, and I've used the provided (by StackIQ) cs_wipe.sh and cs_setup.sh
to cleanse the database on the management server. When I try to launch a new zone (entering
the above information in the gui), everything goes well until it tries to create the host.
Then:

1] It tells me an error has occurred, has a colon, then nothing.
2] Clicking on "Fix Errors" takes you to the add-a-host page. There's nothing to fix, so click
"Save Changes"
3] Now it tells me that an error has occurred, has a colon, and says "Unable to add host"
4] Click "Cancel". Note that the host is added, and the state is listed as "Up".
5] Create primary storage
6] Create secondary storage

So now I have a cloud with one host, but my secondary storage has an "alert" state in that
there is no System VM for it. Can't create a system VM. BTW, numbers 1-4 above have been a
constant companion in the bazillion times I wiped it, and tried something else.

Two questions, then: 1] Is it normal for the create-a-zone wizard to bomb out, or is there
something wrong with my config? 2] How do I get to a functional system from here?

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

[1] although googling for the page now yields no results, the printout is on my desk assuring
me I have not yet gone mad.