cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Nordgren, Bryce L -FS" <bnordg...@fs.fed.us>
Subject Networking config question
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:23:28 GMT
Hi.

I'm trying to get my head around provisioning a cluster in cloudstack 4.0.2...specifically
issues surrounding networking. I have been looking for a good tutorial, but have not googled
my way into one yet.

My config is very very simple: one management server and one host. I have two physical networks:
"public" and "private". Cloudstack "public" traffic is the only thing on my public network,
all other cloudstack traffic is confined to the private network. While I intend to grow this
setup, I do not envision that the essential networking situation will change.

The system is managed via the StackIQ Rocks+Cloud roll.  The eth0 NICs are configured as the
private network 10.1.4.0/23, having their own superdumb GigE switch. The eth1 NICs form the
"public" network 192.168.56.0/24 and are plugged into the University managed switches. This
isn't really "public", but I can get to them from the University network. I've been allocated
a block of 50 IPs on this University-public network. The management server (10.1.4.1) also
serves DNS for the private network, and serves as a gateway to the public world.

I'm having problems getting all four cloudstack traffic types to coexist on these two networks.

The Zone's Guest CIDR is 10.1.4.0/23. The GUI is returning an error when launching my config
("The subnet of the pod you are adding conflicts with the subnet of the Guest IP Network").
The pod was given 10.1.4.0/23 also, with the reserved system IPs of 10.1.4.10-10.1.4.20. Storage
traffic, similarly, has been dispatched to the private network with IPs of 10.1.4.40-10.1.4.50.
It hasn't complained about this yet, but it might be waiting.

My question is either: "What did I do wrong, above?" or "What is the preferred method of assigning
storage, guest, and management traffic to a private network and public traffic to a public
network (e.g., what numbers go where in the provisioning process?)"

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended
recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the
information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal
penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
and delete the email immediately.