cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hosts in CloudStack's avoid set
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:39:53 GMT
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:34:58AM -0600, Caleb Call wrote:
> When I've seen this (and I've seen it a lot) I usually see that it
> thinks it's missed a ping and so it puts the host in an avoid set.
> I think the "health check" feature in CS needs a lot of work to be
> much more reliable.  Sometimes if I let the host sit long enough, it
> will magically (there's no rhyme or reason to it) start working
> again.  My only sure fix has been pulling the host completely out of
> Cloudstack and then re-adding it.
>

> On Jul 23, 2013, at 11:18 PM, Indra Pramana <indra@sg.or.id> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Good day to you.
> >
> > From time to time, CloudStack will put a hypervisor host on avoid set and
> > not willing to deploy VM on that host.
> >
> > ===
> > 2013-07-24 13:12:34,639 DEBUG [allocator.impl.FirstFitAllocator]
> > (Job-Executor-2:job-672 FirstFitRoutingAllocator) Host name: hv-kvm-02,
> > hostId: 28 is in avoid set, skipping this and trying other available hosts
> > 2013-07-24 13:12:34,639 DEBUG [allocator.impl.FirstFitAllocator]
> > (Job-Executor-2:job-672 FirstFitRoutingAllocator) Host name: hv-kvm-01,
> > hostId: 32 is in avoid set, skipping this and trying other available hosts
> > ===
> >
> > 1. What are the possible reasons on why CloudStack would put a hypervisor
> > host on avoid set?

When CS decides to deploy a VM and sets its eyes on a host ie to say
it has finalized a deployment destination for the VM it assumes
everything will go through fine. If it doesn't and for some reason the
VM deployment fails CS tries to avoid that host for further
deployments. This is the notion of avoid set as I understand it.

--
Prasanna.,