cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Brian Galura <Brian.Gal...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Deploying Virtual Appliances
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:41:17 GMT
Thanks, Kirk that's exactly right. I found a link to a KB article with screenshots just in
case.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX132014

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Kosinski [mailto:kirkkosinski@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:35 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Deploying Virtual Appliances

Hi, Caleb.  XenServer templates must be in VHD format before importing to CloudStack.  You
can import the XVA on a standalone XenServer, copy the VHD from the SR to a web server, import
it to CloudStack, and deploy VMs from it.

The NetScaler template seems to work fine if you are using XenServer 6.0.2.  On XenServer
6.1, like Brian mentioned, it won't boot due to the VM being configured with a virtual CD-ROM
drive.

Best regards,
Kirk

On 07/16/2013 02:16 PM, Caleb Call wrote:
> It's a Virtual Netscaler. .xva appliance.  Is there a workaround for this issue?  Is
this issue unique to 6.1 or does it apply to 6.0.2 as well?

> I did try to import it as a template but was getting an error doing so (sorry, not somewhere
I can grab the error or logs at the moment).

> Thanks
>
> On Jul 16, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Brian Galura <Brian.Galura@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> What type of virtual appliance are you using? What format is it provided in?
>>
>> We recently had a problem with XS6.1 and Netscaler .xva appliances as the xva, does
not expect a cdrom drive to be attached and hangs on boot.

references to being able to do it, but can't get anything to work.  I don't really care if
it's monitored/managed in CS.  I tried deploying this directly on the hypervisor itself, but
I think the cleanup process in CS scavenges the VM.  It starts up but within a minute or two,
it's killed.

>> Hypervisor is Xenserver 6.0.2
>> CS is 4.0
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
>>
>> Just thinking out loud - import it as a template and spin an instance from it? CloudStack
won't let you deploy it directly on CloudStack managed Hypervisor.

>> --
>> Shanker Balan
>> Managing Consultant
>>
>> [cid:E7CE8425-E245-4C99-B967-713DF2967392@local]
>>
>> M: +91 98860 60539
>> shanker.balan@shapeblue.com<mailto:shanker.balan@shapeblue.com> |
>> www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com> | Twitter:@shapeblue
>> ShapeBlue India, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre,
>> Bangalore - 560 055

in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape
Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.