cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Network offering Public IP
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:29:55 GMT
Another option would be to create a new 'Isolated Network' offering, with the Specify VLAN,
DHCP, & DNS options ticked, but nothing else.  Use this to create a new network, and whilst
there will be a VR it will not act as a Router as we did not enable 'Source NAT'.

When you create the Network, you will need to specify a VLAN ID & IP range etc.  The Gateway
IP should be the IP of a Physical Router or L3 Switch which will map the traffic directly
to the Internet.  The IP Range will be a real world Public Internet IP range mapped to the
VLAN ID will be outside the normal Guest VLAN range.  The VR will get allocated the first
'guest' IP from the range you allocated to the Network, the remaining IPs will be allocated
to Guest VMs, but as these IPs are public IPs, you now have your Guest VMs directly connected
to the Internet.

Alternatively you can create a network offering with NO options enabled other the Specify
VLAN.  This will allow you to create a network, and again allocate a VLAN ID and IP Range,
however there will be no Virtual Router created, so no DHCP or DNS etc.  When you launch a
VM, CloudStack will 'allocate' and IP but there will be no mechanism to (DHCP) to tell the
VM what the IP is, so you will then need to use the Console Proxy to access the VM and manually
configure the IP etc

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com