cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Matt Simerson <m...@colocateusa.net>
Subject CS4 VM console access
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 00:17:29 GMT

I am attempting to provide users with console access to their CS4 managed VMs through our
branded control panel. I haven't found this feature in the API documentation. I did find this
thread:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-users/201302.mbox/%3cCD39BD71.22B58%25abhinandan.prateek@citrix.com%3e

in which Asmita Patil Vagyani is asking the same question. Abhinandan Prateek posts a little
information and a link (http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/cloudportalbusiness-14/ccpb-troubleshoot.html)
which hints that Cloud Portal uses CloudStacks SSO (Single Sign On) Key to authenticate a
session with the console VM.

I found the SSO key in the CloudStack database. The next step was figuring out what to do
with it.

When I click the console button within the CloudStack portal, the console session comes up
with a URL like this:

https://208-87-NN-196.realhostip.com/ajax?token=k3DDanC6hP<snip very long line>TmL2nx6XQFbY

It appears I need a token. I'm guessing that to get it, I need to submit a request to a URL
like this one:

https://csm1.domain/client/console?cmd=access&vm=818d0264-1b52-NNNN-996b-28NNNN54ee0

I modified my API request method replacing the api path  of '/client/api?' with '/client/console?'
and using command=access. When I run it, I get back this error: 'Access denied. Invalid web
session or API key in request'  This doesn't surprise me, because my application doesn't have
a valid web session. But it does have a request signed with the API key.  I'm confident that
the SSO Key is the piece of the puzzle that's going to allow this to work.

Any assistance (URL references, code samples, etc) you can offer is appreciated.

Matt