cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Leach <Oliver.Le...@tatacommunications.com>
Subject RE: Porting VMWare virtual setup into CloudStack
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:19:10 GMT
I would set up a new virtual center and add this to Cloudstack and then one by one export and
import your VMs in to Cloudstack one by one. I would definitely recommend not updating the
database or importing your existing virtual center in to cloudstack. The export format will
need to be OVA. You should not use the same virtual center that you manage with Cloudstack.
Importing them this way means Cloudstack will track the life cycle of the VMs however the
downside would be you will have a template for each VM you import which will inevitably take
up space on your secondary NFS server and the ESX datastore. Depending on your size of VMs,
depends on how long this will take and you might have to tweak some global settings if the
OVA templates sizes are large.

It would be good if you could import them straight in  but I do not think this is possible.

Here is an extract from the installation guide.

6.4.2. Add Cluster: vSphere

Host management for vSphere is done through a combination of vCenter and the CloudStack admin
UI. CloudStack requires that all hosts be in a CloudStack cluster, but the cluster may consist
of a single host. As an administrator you must decide if you would like to use clusters of
one host or of multiple hosts. Clusters of multiple hosts allow for features like live migration.
Clusters also require shared storage such as NFS or iSCSI.
For vSphere servers, we recommend creating the cluster of hosts in vCenter and then adding
the entire cluster to CloudStack. Follow these requirements:

    Do not put more than 8 hosts in a vSphere cluster
    Make sure the hypervisor hosts do not have any VMs already running before you add them
to CloudStack.

Oliver Leach
Platform Architect
InstaCompute