cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Kristoffer Sheather @ CloudCentral" <kristoffer.sheat...@cloudcentral.com.au>
Subject re: Domain and Account organisation
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:21:09 GMT
Domains are simply a way to structure groups of accounts and other domains.
 How you map this to your business & customer requirements is completely up
to you.

For ultimate flexibility, I recommend creating a domain for each customer
account, then create an account within that domain.  That provides you the
flexibility of being able to create a sub-domain under the domain if you
ever need to.

Regards,

Kristoffer Sheather
Cloud Central
Scale Your Data Center In The Cloud
Phone: 1300 144 007 | Mobile: +61 414 573 130 | Email:
kris@cloudcentral.com.au
LinkedIn:   | Skype: kristoffer.sheather | Twitter:
http://twitter.com/kristofferjon

 From: "Len Bellemore" <Len.Bellemore@ControlCircle.com>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 7:18 PM
To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org" <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Domain and Account organisation

Hi Guys,

I've got a question about how to organise my Domain and Accounts

I've got two types of customers.  Managed and Non-Managed.

Managed customers pay for monitoring and proactive administration of vms.
They also get us to create VMs for them from time to time.
Non-Managed customers  are completely self-service.

I'm not sure if the managed / non-managed things is relevent in this case,
but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

My thinking thus far is to create a domain per customer, an account per
customer (or more accounts if there are departments within that company)
and then users under each account.

It was also suggested to me to create a domain for Managed and one for
Non-Managed and then start creating sub-domains under those.

At the moment I can't really understand 100% what domains are used for -
same goes for the domain-admin.  Could anyone explain it in simple terms?

Thanks
Len