cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Len Bellemore <Len.Bellem...@ControlCircle.com>
Subject RE: baremetal / pxe booting of instances
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:24:10 GMT
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that.

What is also influencing my thinking is the way that the usage engine tracks which operating
system the customer is using.  If I want to charge more for a Windows Datacenter edition vs
Windows Standard, don't I need to make sure that the customer is deploying from a Datacenter
vs Standard template so that the usage engine knows which OS they are using?

If I deploy a base template, and then configure it after the fact, the usage engine doesn't
have a view on which template (and associated OS) they are using.

Cheers
Len

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Higginbottom [mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com]
Sent: 26 April 2013 14:46
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: baremetal / pxe booting of instances

Hi Len,

A 'better' way if doing this is to use a base template, which just consists of the OS, say
CentOS, then use Puppet to tell each VM what it will be and configure any additional software
etc.

Oliver Leach gave a talk at the last CloudStack European User Group on this very topic, and
his slide deck can be found here http://www.shapeblue.com/2013/04/16/cloudstack-european-user-group-meeting/

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com