cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject what are folks using for replication?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 01:32:59 GMT
Thought I'd throw this question out on the list - we're working on geographically (1500 miles)
replicated databases for customers who really don't want their stuff to go down.

In this particular case, how they've architected their DB schemas means they're really not
friendly to the standard transactional replication (this is MSSQL server) so we're looking
at replicating the whole block device the db is stored on.

We've tried using…
 * Ceph -  know it's not meant for geo-rep…loving it locally, though!
 * Gluster - When clustering across the WAN, performance was weak. Don't have enough disks/nodes
to create a gluster cluster to replicate with gluster-geo-replicate
 * drbd in active/standby - Fairly decent performance. I hear it'd be better with the drbd-proxy,
but don't feel like spending the $$ yet. I've been previously shot in the foot enough times
with drbd active/active that I won't try that again.

Currently using drbd (I'm pondering writing management of the primary/secondary stuff into
ACS) but curious if others have found ways of doing this with ACS that they like?

John

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella