cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Me...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Questions around Storage: DATADISK showing as allocated/creating
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:47:21 GMT

When the volume is in allocated state it doesn't actually physically creates the volume. Only
when it transitions the volume to ready does it do that. You can raise a JIRA request to delete
the data disks when the deployvm fails and these volumes are in allocated state.
Also, if the volume stays in Creating state after the deploy vm execution then I would say
its a bug and I suggest you to please file if that is the case.

Thanks,
-Nitin

From: Carl Pickering <Carl.Pickering@TraderMedia.co.uk<mailto:Carl.Pickering@TraderMedia.co.uk>>
To: "cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>"
<cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Questions around Storage: DATADISK showing as allocated/creating

Hi All,

Firstly,  please forgive the fancy HTML based signature, it’s a corporate thing assigned
to all emails.. I know how some mailing lists members detest such :(

I have a question around storage and specifically disks showing as ALLOCATED or CREATING.
We communicate with CloudStack using the RightScale API/UI and occasionally the API call into
CloudStack can time out (we’re working on this to improve communication) and when this happens,
an instance fails to launch/create, but yet allocates data disk..
When I look at my storage offering, I see the following:

Name: data_storage_01-69PS41M1RJV4D            Type: DATADISK               Storage Type:
unknown                VM display name: none     State: Creating

Or

Name: data_storage_01-167MIVU8RIDS8            Type: DATADISK               Storage Type:
shared     VM Display Name: None                State: Allocated

My question is this, if this displays as such, has anything been created on a block level,
ie space assigned/files left around.. Also, how can I clear these up?

Thank you

Carl

Carl Pickering
Systems Engineer | | Trader Media Group
Willow House, Woodlands Business Park, Newton-le-Willows, Cheshire, WA12 0HE
tel | +441616699153   mob | +44 7525 405539
[cid:5df5b2.png@ddf7ff00.458f8eb1][cid:3f76d0.png@81fd40db.48822526]

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Trader Media Group Limited, Registered Office: Auto Trader
House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 4UT(Registered
in England No. 4768833). This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
may be legally privileged, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.