cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Bryan Whitehead <dri...@megahappy.net>
Subject Re: restricting users to a or Zone / Cluster
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:50:21 GMT
So really the only way I can make sure certain hosts get used by a
certain user is to make a separate zone?

Basically, I need to have 2 groups of hosts: on group of hosts that is
dedicated to dev/qa/experimental stuff, the other group of hosts is
production. Looks like I can't just make separate users, clusters, or
domains - I really need to make 2 different zones. :(

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Geoff Higginbottom
<geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> You can use Tags to tell CloudStack where you would 'like' it to put resources, but tags
are best endeavours.

> If you have two clusters, but the one you want to place resources on using Tags is full,
CloudStack will simply allocate the resources to the other cluster.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom
> CTO / Cloud Architect
>

> D: +44(0)20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44(0)20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>
| M: +44(0)7968161581<tel:+447968161581>
>
> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com

> On 18 Mar 2013, at 08:14, "Bryan Whitehead" <driver@megahappy.net<mailto:driver@megahappy.net>>
wrote:

> After reading the URLs above it sounds like I can use tags to get what I want...
>
> If I tag a cluster or a primary storage that is related to a
> particular cluster - then I could also use the same tag when deploying
> Instances to make sure only certain Instances go to a certain cluster
> (or primary storage)? Is that right?
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com<mailto:Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com>>
wrote:
> Something close to this is already being worked on. These talk about
> dedicating resources to accounts/domain. See if you can find a flag to
> "restrict" them as well.
> Or you can create an enhancement for the same
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/FS+for+VMs+on+hardwa
> re+dedicated+to+a+specific+account
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dedicated+Resources+
> -+Public+IP+Addresses+and+VLANs+per+Tenant
>

> Dedicating templates should be possible by using launchPermissions api for
> templates.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nitin
>
> On 15/03/13 9:22 PM, "Kirk Jantzer" <kirk.jantzer@gmail.com<mailto:kirk.jantzer@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> Bryan, I like this idea - being able to restrict accounts/users/projects
> certain zones/hypervisors/templates/etc. There's already a lot of
> granularity in CS, why not a little more? :-)
>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Pranav Saxena
> <pranav.saxena@citrix.com<mailto:pranav.saxena@citrix.com>>wrote:
>
> Well , you can always set up a private zone by unchecking the public
> checkbox in the zone wizard .

is a registered trademark.