cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Primary Storage - Maximum capacity
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:48:10 GMT
Hi,

There's a nominal recommended limit of (as I recall) 8TB per primary storage pool.  But this
is a finger in the air guess-timate.

The limit is really down to your infrastructure.

When we talk about the number of VMs a host can support we're looking at not only the host's
CPU and memory resources but also its connectivity to both the network in general and also
to its storage. So if we were to say we think a host can support 20 VMs it includes factoring
in the speed of the link to the storage and the speed of that storage.

So, if you have 8 hosts in a cluster and each host can support 20 VMs and each VM has a 50GB
disk then
8 x 20 x 50 = 8TB (per cluster)

So there wouldn't be much point in having a 30TB pool for that cluster UNLESS you need that
many disks to get the number of IOPS you need (but then you'd look at the size of the individual
disks you're using).

For the above example a 12TB pool would give you wiggle room in case the size or number of
VMS ends up more than you thought it would be....

Regards,

Paul Angus
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784
paul.angus@shapeblue.com