cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Gaspare A Silvestri <g.silves...@netsons.com>
Subject Re: Primary Storage - Maximum capacity
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:30:24 GMT
Thanks a lot!!

It would be simple organizing it this way by using multiple (in my case)
VMware datastores.

Thanks again,

Gaspare

On 14/03/2013 13:27, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> Gaspare
>
> The limits are really related to a single Primary Storage Volume, and as you can have
multiple volumes within a Cluster, and multiple Clusters within a Zone, there are effectively
no limits on how much storage a Zone can have.

> In fact we always recommend at least two Primary Storage Volumes per Cluster, ideally
provided by different Hardware, for maximum resiliency.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

I can understand that you have confirmed that I will be able to use more than 8TB of storage
for  every zone. Is this correct?

> Thanks,
>
> Gaspare
>
> On 14/03/2013 08:48, Paul Angus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's a nominal recommended limit of (as I recall) 8TB per primary storage pool.
 But this is a finger in the air guess-timate.

>> The limit is really down to your infrastructure.
>>
>> When we talk about the number of VMs a host can support we're looking at not only
the host's CPU and memory resources but also its connectivity to both the network in general
and also to its storage. So if we were to say we think a host can support 20 VMs it includes
factoring in the speed of the link to the storage and the speed of that storage.

>> So, if you have 8 hosts in a cluster and each host can support 20 VMs
>> and each VM has a 50GB disk then
>> 8 x 20 x 50 = 8TB (per cluster)
>>
>> So there wouldn't be much point in having a 30TB pool for that cluster UNLESS you
need that many disks to get the number of IOPS you need (but then you'd look at the size of
the individual disks you're using).

>> For the above example a 12TB pool would give you wiggle room in case the size or
number of VMS ends up more than you thought it would be....

>> Regards,
>>
>> Paul Angus

of ~45TB; so I think you'll be fine, but will defer to the experts on this one.

>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Gaspare A Silvestri < g.silvestri@netsons.com>
wrote:

>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> is there a limit (in size) for the global TB of usable primary
>>> storage in a single CloudStack zone? We are considering to implement
>>> a SAN with at least 12TB of space.
>>>
>>> My current configuration is VMware vSphere 5 + cloudStack 4.0.1 .
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Gaspare
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kirk Jantzer
>> c: (678) 561-5475
in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape
Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

> <http://it.linkedin.com/in/gasilvestri>
is a registered trademark.

--

*Gaspare A. Silvestri*