cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Clayton Weise <cwe...@iswest.net>
Subject RE: iSCSI mounts and primary storage
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:18:00 GMT
Chris, I'll start by referencing some additional reading from others discussions on this topic:

http://markmail.org/message/d3wg7ll7xzio76qc

http://markmail.org/message/fqj3wmg55qb44ssh

Pretty much anything involving Mike Tutkowski is centered around the topic of individual LUNs
per VM since it's one of the very cool and unique features of SolidFire (per-volume QoS).
 Edison has been re-working much of the underlying storage architecture within CS to allow
for this type of configuration.

Next regarding Gluster as primary storage, in my experience with it this hasn't ever turned
out very good.  Performance usually suffers and KVM and CloudStack don't seem to do too well
with it but my experience is a little over 6 months old at this point and I'm sure things
have changed since then so I'd welcome anybody else to chime in.  Personally I think you might
be better served to look at what Wido is doing with Ceph/RBD and CS as it seems a more promising
scale-out system, but that's just my personal opinion based on what I have observed from others
and not from my own testing.

Finally, as for what others are doing.  For us, we are using iSCSI but we share a LUN with
multiple customers.  So a given LUN might have many smaller volumes on it belonging to a diverse
number of accounts.  This is due to some technical limitations (256 LUNs per VM host), as
well as the logistical ones of managing the LUN sprawl which can get messy.  In that vein
NFS is a very popular alternative.  For various reasons (most of them unfounded in my opinion)
there seems to be a bias against NFS saying that performance suffers.  NFS performs extremely
well under most circumstances and is much easier to manage since it's just files on a filesystem.
 I spend quite a bit of time in IRC and I can say from my time in there that NFS is generally
the most popular choice, and primarily for this reason.

-Clayton