cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: vpc bandwidth throttling
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:10:20 GMT
Hi Brandon,

The Network Rate setting on Network Offerings throttles the Egress Traffic from the Virtual
Router.  This was implemented long before the VPC features were added so I suspect we need
to enhance the feature set for VPC.

I think you will need to log a feature request for this, if there is not one already

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Arms [mailto:BArms@dsscorp.com]
Sent: 28 February 2013 13:23
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: vpc bandwidth throttling

I need to control bandwidth on the public facing interface on a vpc, and use separate rates
on the interfaces of the tiers.

Vpc is configured as such:
Public interface (to internet)
Tier1 interface (to VMs)
Tier2 interface (to VMs)

I would like the VMs on the tiers to be able to communicate with each other at the transport
speed (1Gbps), but would like to throttle the bandwidth on the public interface.

I have set various network rates in the vpc network offerings which seems to have no overall
effect on the bandwidth.

To successfully throttle bandwidth I had to do the following:

1.       Create a new domain router system offering and set the network rate to the desired
BW

2.       Create a vpc offering that utilizes the new system offering I created in step 1

3.       Create a vpc that uses the new vpc offering created in step 2

4.       Create network offerings using various network rates

5.       Create tiers on the vpc created in step 3 using the network offerings in step 4

The above config does achieve bandwidth throttling, but via the network rate defined on the
system offering and it does so on all interfaces on the created vpc.

Is there a way to only limit bandwidth on the public facing interface of the vpc?

thanks

Brandon Arms