cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: Questions about KVM storage backends and resize/migrations
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 20:55:42 GMT
On 06.02.2013 19:55, Chris Sears wrote:

> I'm not sure anyone could give you a "recommended" option for primary
> storage without knowing more about your requirements and environment,
> but NFS seems to be fairly common for production usage. For KVM, your
> storage options are NFS, RDB, CLVM, or SharedMountPoint (which could
> be any shared file system, eg GFS).

Thanks, CLVM looks really neat and I imagine the snapshotting is also
superior to what we can see today with kvm+qcow2. I guess I could also
use Glusterfs as SharedMountPoint.

> Yes, CS can resize volumes, but it doesn't do anything inside the
> guest to resize the local filesystem/partitions.

That's fair enough.

>> If the requested resize needs more resources than the current
>> physical host
>> can provide, can CS (live) migrate the VM to another one?
>
> I'm not aware of any such automatic migration feature. Most of the
> primary storage options would expose the same shares/LUNs to all the
> hosts in a cluster, so I'm not sure how often this would come up.

In my case the local storage is significantly faster than anything
"shared" I could come up with so this feature is quite appealing. The
other competition's stack can do this and I wondered if cloudstack can
also do it. But CLVM might be a decent compromise, remains to be seen.

Thanks a lot!

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro