cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: mgmt VM access to VPC
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:10:37 GMT

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.  We are indeed trying very similar things.

Are you seeing any strangeness with this?

About half the time, we're getting the NIC's wrongly associated with
IP's by the Cloudstack API (i.e. IP in Tier CIDR is reported against
shared network and vice versa).  The machines themselves seem to work
fine.  But port-forwarding seems not to work when this happens.

--A

On 08/02/2013 03:31, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I've actually been working on a similar problem myself.  If I understand your solution,
it's to use a shared network connected to each tier of the VPC.  If this is correct, surely
you are 'breaking' the VPC model as you have now connected each Tier to a common shared network,
meaning they are no longer isolated.

> What we tested today was to map a unique network to each Tier, each with a unique VLAN
and CIDR, using a custom network offering providing only DHCP service.  These networks were
connected to a Firewall which enables a management network to connect to each tier, but prevents
the Tiers communicating directly.

> As you point out, VMs have to be deployed using the API not the GUI, and I can confirm
this works in CloudStack 4.0.

> We did have to create 'shared' networks in order to create a VM connected to both a VPC
Tier and another Network (it does not work with an Isolated Network) but as the Network is
only connected to VMs belonging to one Tier, we did not compromise the VPC isolation model.

> One final step was to add a persistent route to each VM, ensuring traffic destined for
the 'management' network was routed over the secondary network and not the default network
which is connected to the VPC.  This route can be added manually, or by using the 'user data'
feature to tell each VM which Gateway to use (it's different for every Tier so cannot be baked
into the template)

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom
> CTO / Cloud Architect
>

> D: +44(0)20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44(0)20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>
| M: +44(0)7968161581<tel:+447968161581>
>
> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com

> Find out about our free webinars on Citrix Cloud Technologies<http://www.shapeblue.com/citrix-cloud-technologies-webinar-series/>
>
> On 7 Feb 2013, at 19:51, "Alex Heneveld" <alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com<mailto:alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com>>
wrote:

> An update on this.  It seems there are currently 4 viable options for solving this VPC
mgmt access problem, summarised below. Thanks Chip and Alex (minor questions in-line).

>> We're trying to set up a VPC/nTier-App such that a single VM (call it a
>> management node) outside the VPC has ssh access to the VM's inside the
>> VPC.  (And to do this for multiple VPC's, same mgmt node.) What's the
>> best way to implement this?
> 1) Shared-network solution -- this is what we've done and I'm pleased to say it works!
 (Alex, although this isn't exposed in the GUI, the API call to attach an additional network
to VPC nodes works fine -- in cloudplatform 3.0.5 at least)

> 2) "DIY" remote access VPN [Chip's suggestion] -- Chip, if I understand your suggestion
correctly it's basically that we roll-our-own VPN on a VM in the VPC w/ ip-sec gateway to
enable remote-access ("road warrior") VPN'ing, since this isn't available out of the box for
VPC's (as per [1])

> 3) Port-forwarding on extra VPC public IP -- managing these assignments is tedious (as
Chip notes) but it is not as bad as it sounds; we've had to do this before, in LXC-land where
containers are isolated.  it has benefit over #2 of not needing a dedicated VPN endpoint VM
in the VPC, and over #1 not attaching a free-for-all mgmt network; but it isn't elegant or
fun.

> 4) s2s VPN [Alex Huang's suggestion] - i think this is a nice option if you already have
the beefy hardware (Cisco / Juniper) that this requires, based on the wiki [2] at least --
is that right?  although it would be inefficient if that hardware isn't local (b/c all traffic
is routed through the remote gateway) and also note there is a question in the wiki whether
it will work between zones (but I see no reason why it wouldn't?)

> The mgmt VM can be in the same zone here (re Chip's question).  If the mgmt VM is in
a different zone then #1 doesn't work (not unless you use it to set up a proxy then use one
of the other techniques to connect in to it).

> It will be nice when #754 is implemented [1] as that seems better than any of these.
 :)

> I hope this is useful to anyone else needing to do this.  Any comments or corrections
welcome.  And happy to share the code if that's of interest.

> Alex
>
> [1]  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-754
> [2]  https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/site-to-site-vpn.html
>

> On 06/02/2013 17:23, Alex Huang wrote:

to help IT Service Providers and Enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue's

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,