cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Trevor Francis <trevor.fran...@tgrahamcapital.com>
Subject Re: Reimage Instance
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 23:56:09 GMT
Thats fantastic. Is there an ETA for 4.1?

Trevor Francis
Partner
46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
720-214-3643- Voice
trevor@46labs.com

Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry

On Jan 4, 2013, at 5:51 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> Proposed for 4.1
>
> From: Trevor Francis <trevor.francis@tgrahamcapital.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:47:11 -0800
> To: CloudStack Users <cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Reimage Instance
>
>> Chiradeep,
>>
>> Any idea as far as timeline?
>>

>> Trevor Francis
>> Partner
>> 46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
>> http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
>> 720-214-3643- Voice
>> trevor@46labs.com
>>
>> Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry
>>

>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>
wrote:

>>> The 'restoreVm' API is being enhanced for this purpose. See
>>> http://markmail.org/thread/rc4ycjo5segasbtm
>>>
>>> From: Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
>>> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:52:47 -0800
>>> To: CloudStack Users <cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>>
>>> Subject: RE: Reimage Instance
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It is not currently supported, but have no clue whether it will be supported
later or not.
>>> CS is using linked in clones so you just cannot simply replace the template the
VM is based on because the VMs ROOT volume depends on it.
>>> To “re-image” basically you’d need to destroy the VM with its disks then
re-deploy it with the new template but because it is a new VM new IP will be allocated for
it.
>>> If you want the new VM with a specific (previous) IP address you’ll need to
manually edit the database.

>>> Regards

a VM from a template. Is this a feature that will fundamentally not be supported Cloudstack,
or just one that isnt supported currently?

>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> Trevor Francis
>>> Partner
>>> 46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
>>> http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
>>> 720-214-3643- Voice
>>> trevor@46labs.com<mailto:trevor@46labs.com>
>>>
>>> Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry
>>>
>>> [cid:image001.jpg@01CDEAC4.1D9499E0] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDEAC4.1D9499E0]
>>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m using advanced vlan isolated networking with dhcp.
>>> For me the internal IPs do not matter as the public IP belongs to the account
and the virtual router will sort out the rest.

>>> Via the GUI you cannot preserve IPs but manually via the database you can change
what IP belongs to what VM.

>>> My recovery procedure is to deploy a brand new VM, re-attach the data volume
to it and update the firewall/static-nat rules if any to the new VM.

>>> Regards

scratch again....assuming you are using advanced networking and dhcp?

>>> Trevor Francis
>>> Partner
>>> 46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
>>> http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
>>> 720-214-3643- Voice
>>> trevor@46labs.com<mailto:trevor@46labs.com>
>>>
>>> Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry
>>>
>>> [cid:image001.jpg@01CDEABF.B5AA1C50] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDEABF.B5AA1C50]
>>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don’t think there is.
>>> You can change the template of your VM by manually editing the database and then
shut it down and restart it.
>>> This way at the next start CS will re-deploy the new template for the VM and
start it.

>>> Please be aware this is not recommended in production due to this method will
confuse the storage clean-up scripts and will kill your live VM in case the old template it
was based on no longer required.
>>> It is always recommended to create a new VM instance with the new template.
>>>
>>> Regards

with a new template? I see a way in the API, but nothing in the UI.