cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ahmad Emneina <Ahmad.Emne...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Multiple primary and volume not created on the same primary as the offering
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:26:54 GMT
On 1/25/13 7:18 AM, "Arnaud Gaillard" <arnaud.gaillard@xtendsys.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>(Our setup: cloudstack 3.0.2 on Centos + KVM + NFS fileservers from
>different vendors)
>
>We have a multiple primary setup, but following the crash of one of the
>primary storage we have realized that additional volume added to a VM were
>not created with the same offering than the original VM.
>
>This mean that the VM was running on a specific primary and the volume we
>created afterward for this VM were not following the storage tag of the
>offering.

Were you spinning up subsequent vm's from a template created of the
original vm? Were those latter vm's using the same service offering? If so
that shouldn¹t happen.

>This may create important incoherency and complexity when we do operation
>with primary storage.
>
>Is there a way to control on which primary is created a volume? Is this a
>bug?
>
>We also have strange behaviour following a primary storage crash with some
>VM time traveling backward (the VM is up but the filesystem is in the
>state
>it was one month ago, this state is different from the original
>template...).
>Also some VM were missing huge part of their filesystem. This is also the
>case for VM that were not on the impacted storage.
>
>The data are not corrupted on the NFS server but after the restart, the VM
>are sometime in an incoherent state from a filesystem point of view. We
>tried to understand what might cause this but currently we didn't come to
>satisfactory solution.
>
>Did other users encountered this type of problem?
>
>Thanks,
>
>AG

There seems to be something more fundamentally wrong in your cloud env.
Volumes, even after a crash, should be as recent as the crash. Do you have
any data replication service/snapshotting running on your primary storage
server?