cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] IP Address Reservation within a network
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 14:52:55 GMT
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk> wrote:
> +1
> I'm currently providing shared storage within a client's network from physical HW.
> Every time the user creates a VM there is a chance that the DHCP will collide with the
manual setup.

That should not happen (not saying it doesn't, just saying it
shouldn't - there is a disconnect between DHCP proper and CloudStack
allocation.) Virtually all DHCP servers check to ensure that no
conflict exists (via ping and/or arp) before handing out an address
and should remove a potential address from the pool if it is already
in use. I am not sure a feedback loop exists back to CloudStack from
that, but DHCP certainly has provisions for dealing with it.

--David