cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Help with advanced zone kvm networking setup.
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:43:05 GMT
Hi Nate,

The main problem I see with your design is with relation to the Storage Network using a VLAN.

There is a lot of confusion within CloudStack relating to the 'Storage Network' as it relates
to Secondary and NOT Primary Storage.

If you choose to use the Storage Network, it is only worthwhile doing so if you have NIC(s)
you can dedicate to it, once configured it is used by the SSVM to transfer Snapshots, Templates
etc to and from Secondary Storage.  If you place it on a unique VLAN and IP Range, the SSVM
AND the CloudStack management Server must be able to communicate with it.

With regard to VLANs, just make sure the switch ports are configured for the VLAN IDs you
want to use, CloucStack will configure the VLANs on the Hypervisors for you

I suggest you take a look at the following

Paul Angus' Blog on understanding the physical network
http://www.shapeblue.com/2013/01/07/understanding-cloudstacks-physical-networking-architecture/

You may also find My blog on CloudStack Networking usefull, a little old now but still pertinent
http://www.shapeblue.com/2012/05/01/cloudstack-networking-considerations/

There is also a recording of the 'Introduction to Networking' talk I gave at the CloudStack
Collaboration Conference in Las Vegas recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIV9D2jYid0

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com