cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Cloudstack Xen Host High Availability and Fencing
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 09:01:14 GMT
Hi Tom

This is the way it works by design. For each XenServer modify:
/opt/xensource/bin/xenheartbeat.sh

Locate the two instances of "reboot -f" and comment them out by placing a # in front.

Then kill the script followed by a force reconnect from the GUGI (or reboot each XenServer)
pidof -x xenheartbeat.sh
kill <pid>

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>
| M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>

From: Tom Bean [mailto:tom.bean@changingworkplace.com]
Sent: 09 January 2013 08:50
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Cloudstack Xen Host High Availability and Fencing

Hi All,

I have stumbled across an issue/feature with Cloudstack (3.0.2) yesterday which was a little
worrying.

I was working on a primary storage which was added through Cloudstack but had no VM's stored
on it, so I did not think this would cause any issues.

While I was working on this storage device, it became unavailable for around 5 minutes, when
it became unavailable all my Xen servers fenced, rebooted and all my VM's shut down and one
Xen server has now become corrupted.

I have tested this again on a second pool I have in cloudstack and when the primary storage
becomes unavailable all the Hosts reboot.

What I want to know is:

1.    Is there any way to disable this?

2.    It seems that in a pool where I have 5 storage repositories, if any of them become unavailable,
all of the hosts shut down. Is there a way to specify the heart beat files be stored on a
specific primary SR?

Tom Bean

Infrastructure & Support Analyst

The Changing Workplace

Phone:
Fax:
Email:
Skype:
Address:
Website:
News:

+44 (0)1444 44 1000 ext 316
+44 (0)1444 44 0944
tom.bean@changingworkplace.com<mailto:tom.bean@changingworkplace.com>
Contact me via Skype
1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1BY, United Kingdom
changingworkplace.com<http://www.changingworkplace.com/>
Sign up for our newsletter<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=wbsdkygab&p=oi&m=1106769987638>

C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom Bean_files\image002.gif]<http://facebook.com/TheChangingWorkplace>[Description:
C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom Bean_files\image003.gif]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-changing-workplace>

Changing the world we work in by providing best-in-class software services to the Corporate
Real Estate sector

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Important Information

This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential and/or privileged and are intended
solely for the named recipient/s. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this email. You should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose
its contents to any other person.

The Changing Workplace cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
the contents of this e-mail as it has been transmitted over a public network and Internet
communications are not secure.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where specifically
stated to be the view of The Changing Workplace. All statements made in this e-mail are subject
to contract. The contents are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance. The
sender is not authorised to bind The Changing Workplace contractually.

The Changing Workplace cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with
your systems and does not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems
experienced.

The Changing Workplace is a limited company registered in England and Wales under company
number 3614433 whose registered office is at 1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16
1BY, United Kingdom.
to help IT Service Providers and Enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue's